Plants are rich in phytonutrients like carotenoids and flavonoids which protect the body from free radical damage or even cancer’s. It improves overall health of the gut as plants are rich in dietary fibre .
Dietary fibre benefits on body are listed below;
- It decreases the intestinal transit time.
- Delay’s the gastric emptying so reduces the post-prandial hyperglycaemia.
- Helps in feeling of satiety.
- Works as a prebiotic and helps in maintaining the healthy gut microbes and intestinal flora.
- Activates the flow of different juices from gut like bile and pancreatic secretion from Liver and pancreas.
- Relieves the gut problems especially constipation by forming the bulk of the stool. Being the main cause of constipation is less fibre in diet.
- High fibre diet decreases the cholesterol problem by reducing the serum lipid levels in the body.
- Different colour vegetables and fruits are rich in antioxidant’s like reservatol,flavonoids,tannins and proanthoycyaninds which protects the body from free radical damages and protect against diseases like colon cancer, cerebrovascular diseases and arthritis.
- Act as a blood cleanser and gut cleanser and thus improves the overall health of the body.
- Improves the circulation of the body and helps in maintaining the heart health.
Recommended daily intake of dietary fiber through plant based diet should be 25-30 gms (2-3 cups ) .All vegetables and fruits are highest source of dietary fiber and a diet high in fiber is important in prevention of many life-style related diseases.